Mixtikl 5 - 'Inmo' Generative Music Mixer
For Mobile and Desktop (Mac, Win, iOS, Android)
Mixtikl 5 is a popular and deep generative music mixer & cell sequencer employing a unique blend of “in the moment” ('inmo') generative techniques and music technologies. Mixtikl is packed with generative music templates & you can adapt all sounds, fx & rules – even add in your own loops! You’ve 12 tracks to play with / arrange & can record to audio, MIDI or tweet your mix.
Mixtikl 5 comes loaded with lots of modifiable generative content and includes a powerful and flexible polyphonic modular synth with a wide range of chainable FX units. Musical results from Mixtikl can be astounding and the depth in Mixtikl gives back to those who explore and become familiar with it.
Mixtikl has been continuously updated since first release in 2008, and the regular updates are continuing. It is very much a "live" app being developed by a small team with a passion for it.
Whether you just want to check out & listen to what inmo music is all about, or you want to create your own magical, stunning mixes then there's a version of Mixtikl for you.
Mixes that are easy to make and sound GREAT
It's fun, easy to use and experiment with, and it can deliver great results - and that's the real test. We have many users who love it and who have said so, and who enjoy the many updates.
If you want to create a cool mix and play along instrument from the many included generative "parts", then simply press a button to create a new random mix. It's as easy as that!
There is so much more under the hood...
If you're the kind of person that wants to take things further and to customise mix tempos, roots, scales and arrangements, or wants to explore and learn more about generative music rules and parameters by experimenting with them, or wants to try your hand at building complex modular sound synthesis and FX networks, or even just wants to mash up generative music and custom FX with a load of audio loops you have made in + copied over from other apps** and then record it all - then Mixtikl 5 lets you do all that, too. You can even share content with our Noatikl Generative MIDI System!
Introducing social inmo music with the "mixtikl"
Want to share your mixes? You can save your custom creations as "mixtikls" that, if you want to, you can tweet, email & share and they can even include your own short message / haiku / poem, visualizer settings and play-along instrument.
How Can "mixtikls" Do So Much?
Back in 2000 & 2001 (see SSEYO founder's history) we found ways to deliver sounds in one SMS: we called this approach vector audio (VA). We've continued working with VA & developing our approaches meaning that mixtikls (which use a URL file format) can play entire 12 track mixes, fully loaded with FX, mix settings, visualiser settings, text and text display settings, too!
PS: Besides that, since 1997 and SSEYO we've been working with interactive music, simple music mixers, web toys, interactive music driven animations, music mixers with music driven animations, click-play instruments, email music, "Do the space shake" etc. (all examples require the no longer available Koan Interactive Music plugin to play, however)!
Mixtikl influences and pre-cursors
Whilst at SSEYO we released our first generative mixer, Koax X, way back in 1997 (yes, over 15 years ago!). Koan X allowed you to drag generative elements onto a mixing canvas (drag-and-drop) and then modify the elements, including their pitch, pan and volume. Each element in the mix created its music according to what other elements were doing - they were all aware of each other, creating in that context and so it was a "group composition" so to speak. Koan X also let you control piece level rules, too, and allowed the mix elements to move randomly with a variety of flocking mechanisms (physics). It was a true drag 'n mix" system, and probably a first in terms of generative music (see Sound On Sound 1997 review of Koan X). Needless to say we have had a lot more generative "mixing" ideas since we did that, and we have learnt a lot, too, from doing it. We hope that Mixtikl 6 will allow us to explore some more ways of interacting with mixes.
We released miniMIXA for Windows Mobile back in 2004. This was a 12 track generative music mixing app that was the precursor to Mixtikl (see SSEYO miniMIXA at Internet WayBack machine).
Mixtikl App Store User Reviews (now over 180 ★★★★★ )
- "Best App I own"; "the music creation app i have been looking for all my life!!!"
- "Just. Buy. It"; "i love this thing"; "In my top 10 of music apps"
- "The best app of its kind"; "Mixtikl alone justifies the purchase of my IPad"
- "it's very easy and intuitive to use"; "Get this one. Believe me, I've done the research."
Computer Music Mag Reviews of Mixtikl:
- ✓ "There's no denying the musicality of Mixtikl's end results, which are really in a class of their own when it comes to generative music."
- ✓ "commended for treading new paths rather than playing it safe"
- ✓ "We liked Mixtikl back at v2 and we like it even more now"
- ✓ "As far as results go, you'll find it almost perfect"
- ✓ "You'll find Mixtikl to be a generative powerhouse"
- ✓ "Mixtikl delivers the generative goods, and can in fact sound staggeringly good"
- ✓ "If you've been waiting 20 years for a sequel to Eno's Apollo or The Pearl, then wait no longer."
- ✓ "A superb generative music engine waiting to be explored"
- ✓ "Wonderfully varied, organic output"
Key features (see detailed feature list):
- ★ A unique 12 track cell-sequencer, mixer, arranger & mix performance screen
- ★ Includes over 380 customisable generative music elements "parts" & 30 audio loop beats + 50 FX presets
- ★ Integral polyphonic MIDI DLS wavetable / modular synth ("Partikl") for Mixtikl sounds / FX:
- - Tone Generators (Oscillator, Particle, Dsynth, Wavetable)
- - FX units (Chorus, Reverb, Filter, Distortion, ODrive, Delay, EQ, Compressor, Amp)
- - FX control units (LFO, Envelope, Amp);
- ★ Editors to create / customise Partikl synth sounds & FX (synth, cell, track, global) networks
- ★ Note sensitive visualiser screen that can display text & allows tap-play
- ★ Message & Display settings screen with many options, including word bank & jumble
- ★ Integral Noatikl generative music engine with editors for customising rules & params
- ★ Export / import fun music mix "mixtikls" - for tweeting, email etc.
- ★ Auto time stretch & pitch shift Tiklpak content, plus change mix tempo & root settings
- ★ Set individual track volume & pans, global volume & solo / mute tracks
- ★ Play & record (live or mixdown) at up to CD quality (user configurable, device dependent)
- ★ Use your mix recordings (audio/MIDI) royalty free in videos, films, cds etc.**
- ★ Copy / Paste audio files via Sonoma AudioCopy & AudioPaste + Apple General Pasteboard***
- ★ Transfer in/out loops, Paks, recordings & mixes via iTunes App File Sharing***
- ★ Transfer in/out loops, Paks, recordings & mixes via Mac Finder / Windows Explorer ****
- ★ Make mic audio recordings for use in local mixes (ext mic required if no internal mic)***
- ★ Extendable with in-app purchasable Tiklpaks of additional audio loops (if required)***
* Mixtikl (Full) required; for content to be heard in tweeted mixes it must be Mixtikl included content or a customisation thereof, and/or from an add-on Intermorphic Tiklpak that is installed on the listeners device.
** Refer to relevant EULAs / restrictions for any Tiklpak or 3rd party content used
*** iOS version only.
**** Android version only.
Mixtikl is no longer being developed or maintained for Windows Mobile. New build support for Windows Mobile ended July 1st 2010, and there will be no further updates. See the download page for the archive version.