Noatikl 2 - 'Inmo' Generative Music Lab
Create your own generative & 'inmo' music with Noatikl 2, a powerful creative tool for generating new musical ideas. It uses generative / aleatoric / stochastic / algorithmic music techniques developed over the last 20 years.
Noatikl 2 includes the advanced Partikl MIDI, Sound & FX multi-synth for sound generation and can also generate / send MIDI notes and controller info to control settings of favourite external synths, FX units & samplers.
Noatikl 2 also includes all the Mixtikl-included Tiklpaks so you can start with some great sound templates, and you can also now tweet your pieces as "partikls" (for other Noatikl users to play) or as "mixtikls" for people with Mixtikl or Mixtikl Free to play!
- "I've only been using [Noatikl 2] for 10 minutes & love it already. Thank you!"
- Chris Pollard
★ ★ ★ ★ Noatikl review by Computer Music Oct 2012 (+ more user quotes):
- "One of the best interactive composition tools on the market"
- "Noatikl is the coup de grace in the fight against creative block"
- "Offers serious built-in tone generation via Intermorphic's Partikl modular synthesis, sampling and MIDI environment"
- "It would take us page upon page to convey the wealth of goodies in Noatikl 2"
- "Improvements over the previous version are significant"
- "Capable of truly inspiring progressions"
- "You'll get as good as you give, and then some"
Use Noatikl To...
- Create custom inmo music and export for tweeting/sharing/emailing
- Generate new MIDI musical ideas
- Generatively change external synth, FX and sampler settings
- Break composer's block
- Augment an existing musical work
- Create reflective music
- Create ambient sound tracks
- Experiment with generative music systems
- Experiment with synthesizer sounds and effects using Partikl
- Noodle with music sculptures
- Use in generative music installations
- Build your own hyperinstrument
- Get creative with scripting
- Simply have fun creating music!
The Generative Music Lab
(click for full size)
Noatikl 2 is a combination of both the Noatikl generative (MIDI) music engine, and the Partikl synth/audio engine. The Noatikl music engine uses various algorithms and rules to create musical information in the form of both MIDI notes and MIDI controller events. These MIDI notes and controllers can be used both to drive the Partikl synth/audio engine, and to generatively control settings of your own favourite synths, FX units and samplers.
Noatikl's interface is deceptively simple and uncluttered; yet Noatikl still lets you easily get remarkable results without needing to understand music theory or be a music scientist or audio expert. We have plenty of users who have testified to how Noatikl creates great results for them, and these users come from all walks of life. See our user quotes page for many user testimonials.
There are Noatikl variants available for both Mac OS and Windows, including the core Noatikl Standalone version, as well as Plug-in versions (VSTi/AU) for those users who like to use Plug-ins e.g. Logic (Audio Unit [AU]), Sonar (VSTi), Cubase (VSTi), Ableton Live (VSTi), Reaper (VSTi/AU) etc.
Get started now by looking at the Noatikl 2 User Guide!
Generative music (more background) is a whole area in and of itself, and Noatikl is the perfect tool for exploring and creating it. To quote a haiku by Mark Harrop:
A meal, frozen.
home, fresh cooking.
Noatikl is created by Pete Cole and Tim Cole, creators of the 2001 BAFTA-award winning SSEYO Koan Interactive Audio Platform, the 2005 BAFTA-award winning SSEYO miniMIXA, Liptikl (2007+) and Mixtikl (2008+).
We bring to this product the years of experience we have of developing generative music engines, and a past user base who is keen to see what we can do next. Noatikl is much more powerful and versatile than Koan ever was.
For those interested, there is more history here.
250 MB hard disk, 512 MB RAM; Windows: Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7; Mac: Intel, Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later (Noatikl Standalone Desktop) or Mac OS X 10.5.x or later (Noatikl Desktop Audio Plugins).